Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Five


I borrowed this idea from "Write from Karen" as it seemed a good journal entry. Hopefully, next year I'll read this and remember what I was all about this year.

1. This is the 1st of September, what do you want to accomplish by the 31st.
a. Get new bedding for my three bedrooms.
b. Visit at least four sisters in my ward who could use a visit.
c. Get back on a healthy diet and exercise regimen.
d. Kill the bad grass and get new planted.
e. Finish the framed picture project for my hallway.
f. Figure out what is wrong with my computer's D drive and either replace it or do something else to get my pictures printed.
g. Watch Dancing with the Stars and Gray's Anatomy season openers.
2. What does September make you think about or feel?
I love September. There is a touch of fall in the air in the mornings but it is still warm. The leaves start turning at the end of the month. People start slowing down for a while after hectic summers and before the craziness of the holidays begin. I start looking forward to the annual UEA trip with Mom, sisters and brothers. Also the Indian Summer Storytelling Festival is on the 14th and 15th, the third annual event. If you can be in Vernal on those days, it's so much fun. And proceeds go to the local schools' libraries.
3. September is the ninth month; can you name nine memories so far from this year?
1. I turned 50 in February. One of the funnest birthdays I've ever had. We celebrated at work and then my son and his wife visited and we celebrated all weekend. High school friends showed up that morning with a cane (complete with horn and review mirror), epsom salts, reading glasses and Ben Gay.
2. Enjoyed my first experience with blogging and keeping in closer touch with family members, and talking to new friends.
3. Called to be the Relief Society President in my ward.
4. My old boss, Dave, transferred to Orem and the new boss, Preston, moved to Vernal with lots of new ideas. I'm remembering a lot of stress, even though Preston is really a nice guy, just so incredibly smart.
5. Spoke in church in March about feeling the love of the Lord in your life each day. Something I need to remember more often. (Not the speaking, just the love . . . life would be much calmer and more peaceful.
6. A trip to St. George in June with my high school friends to celebrate our 50th milestone.
7. Jason and Rachel's February wedding in St. George and reception in Cedar City, and seeing as many beautiful homes in the Parade of Homes as possible.
8. The Big C
9. The Year of Books, another positive side effect of blogging.
4. What does September have in common with three other months and can you name them?
It ends with "ber" just like October, November and December. Other than that, I compare it to October, April and May because Fall and Spring are my favorite times of the year; mild, gorgeous weather just when you've had it with winter and summer.
5. The first weekend in September signals the end of summer for many even though it doesn’t really end for weeks. When does summer end for you?
The end of summer for me is when the leaves are suddenly orange, yellow, red and brown. There is that crisp nip in the air and I have to close the window at night. Summer is really over when I turn the gas heater on. Hopefully, this year, I'll get the dead flowers pulled out or cut down.

6 comments:

  1. If your D drive isn't working, temporarily you can always purchase a flash drive that you can just stick in your USB port and save the pictures to the flash drive. You can take it to the store and print them out off of that. And, you can carry it around in your purse like me so you always have a computer storage device. Otherwise, I'd take in my computer to the shop and have them fix the D drive. It could be a lot of things: bad driver, virus, etc.

    30 days is September, April, June, and November?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps Once you get it fixed, make sure you're making backups of all of your photos and stuff, just in case your computer has a problem. Trust me. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit challenged to see you as a Dancing With the Stars type of gal. Of course I'm a bit challenged by a lot of stuff.

    September is far and away my favorite month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post and a great journaling opportunity. I hope you don't have to turn that heater on for a little while yet. Have you heard back on the results of your Big C? I'm hoping everything looked good (like normal - you know what I mean!).

    Glad you're blogging. It's always so fun to read your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know...you don't have to suck up to your boss here...unless he reads your blog :)

    More advice on your D drive. Normally the D drive is the smaller drive, so if you just use your C drive for everything you should be alright. I do think it's a good idea to back up all your pics though. I recently did this myself.

    Very fun post to read. I especially enjoyed the memories section.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cardine, I have a flash drive but I promised to copy some pictures to CD for three friends. That's when I discovered the problem. So I copied to the flash drive and took the memory stick to Book's and made the CD's there. Now, I just want to back up all my other pictures to CD. Hence the need for a fix. Or I'll just make more visits to Book's computer.

    Myke, Have you ever watched Dancing with the Stars?? Some are so bad you have to laugh and others are just so good. I like figure skating also.

    Book, no news on the C. I'll call one of these days.

    Alyson, my new boss mentioned that he doesn't read much so he is far from perfect. Probably doesn't have time for blogs either, but on the off-chance, I try to avoid too many mentions of work. As I said, he is very smart (which I find intimidating) so he would see through such an obvious attempt to suck up. I'm much more subtle than that.

    ReplyDelete