Thursday, September 14, 2006

Autumn Day

In a recent meme, I explained that fall to me was when the colors changed, the air was crisp, and I had to turn the gas heater on. Happy times, I think autumn has arrived. The heater is on, albeit turned to low because I was almost fried to a crisp earlier today. That heater wasn't turned on because of a dateline either. In fact, I have been quite chilled lately by the crispness of the air. It's extremely invigorating. And the colors. I drove to Salt Lake Monday afternoon for meetings. As I climbed the hill leaving Heber, I could see touches of red among the scrub oak. I knew that our UEA trip was going to be too late to see the really great fall colors. That premonition was fulfilled when I drove through the same area Wednesday evening. The whole hillside was ablaze. What a gorgeous sight! I decided to drive the speed limit so I didn't endanger anyone as I gawked at the beauty around me. Thankfully, the Ashley Valley hasn't changed colors yet so I will be able to savor it over the next few weeks. I have three trees in my front yard that usually put on a great show, but the maples in the back have been very disappointing, going directly to brown at the first frost. I believe I need a few oaks back there to spice things up. Definitely, no more trees will be planted until the fall potential is thoroughly investigated. All this seasonality reminded me of a favorite Primary song:
"Autumn Day, Autumn Day, God gives richest gifts today.
Look on every side and see Pleasant things for you and me.
Apples red and apples yellow, Round and juicy, sweet and mellow,
Load the trees till they bend over And their branches touch the clover.
Child, be glad with all that lives, But forget not God who gives."
Pretty song, great sentiment. There's a good reason why Thanksgiving is in the fall.
I've even accomplished some of the things I wanted to do before the end of September.
1. I have new bedding in all the bedrooms. There is now a Red Room, Green Room and the Lilac Room. (Someday, the Lilas Room will have more that one lilac pillow, hence the name.)
2. The bad grass is dead. No new grass, but hey, why change that beautiful square of brush?
3. I bought some mats to help with the "Framed Project."
4. I've visited two sisters. That's 50%.
5. The CD drive still doesn't work, but I've received lots of great advice. Also, about half my pictures has been saved to a disc and I recently ordered 53 pictures to be printed at Snapfish.com. Unfortunately, I entered the order twice so I will be getting doubles. One in matte and the other glossy. Jeez. I never received a confirmation on the first order and the expiration date on the card was wrong, so how did they process it? I tried to cancel it two seconds later, but was informed that their system was too automated to change any online orders. It's a website, what other kind of orders could they possibley get?
6. I hurried to the hotel from Barnes and Noble (not an easy feat, but probably money-saving), stopped at Arctic Circle (I've missed it so much since the one in Vernal closed. What a disappointment. I remember it as being better), and settled in to watch Dancing with the Stars. I did miss the first set, but saw the rest. Tucker Carlson was horrible, Jerry Springer was better than anticipated but still bad, and Mario Lopez, well, let's just say, handsome Latino with great dimples who can really cha-cha-cha. It was a pleasure. I'm afraid Relief Society is going on a hike the same night as Gray's Anatomy's premier. Rats, who planned that?? Oh well, now I have to figure out how to get all those women back before nine. The next Thursday, we're reviewing Pride and Prejudice at my house!! Curse the network Gods for moving Gray to Thursday.

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any night out beats a night in front of the tube! Especially on an Autumn day!

    I've never heard that Primary song before - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read #4. I've visited two sisters I thought you were talking about your two sisters! Had to do a paradigm shift. Anxious to see the 3 colorful rooms. Your home is really cozy and inviting. Love the living room. The colors are so restful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book, are we talking about the same house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with book, your house is cozy and inviting. I can't believe that all the leaves in Heber area have changed that much. I just drove through there the day before you, and I'll probably miss it completely. Well, maybe if we do the Mirror Lake trip still. Is that suppose to be this weekend or the next? It should be extra wonderful if all the trees are changing.

    The mountain sides here are starting to change, and the end of last week brought snow to the tops of the mountains. It's all melted now, but it was a really gorgeous mix of greens, reds, and oranges tipped with crisp white. It was quite anqvare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aly, I'll bet it's gorgeous in Ogden right now. You're so close to those mountains. I think the trip to Mirror Lake is on the 30th. I haven't heard too much lately. I might just drive out and meet you and Cassie. That's if she still wants to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did the book review go on Thursday? I meant to offer to record Grey's Anatomy for you because I didn't know if you'd be able to do that and have your book club both in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hike was last Thursday and it got rained out. So I watched the season's premier and it was good. Just for the record, I'm voting against Dr. McDreamy. He's fantastic looking, but I like his wife. Meredith's okay, but flaky. She should pick the vet. The book review is tomorrow night. I guess I'll live if I miss Gray's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Framed ~~ Thanks for your commens on my Coincidences post. I don't know how accurate it was- about the name of
    the theatre or Lincoln's secretary. Both lost their lives while in office, and there were a lot of other coincidences that were amazing. I liked your Autumn
    post and your song was nice. We are coming into Spring here in Australia, so
    my heater is turned off mostly now as it warms up. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Framed, I found out yesterday that you can watch Gray's online at abc.com. I missed both episodes, so I caught up on them tonight. I won't say anything about this weeks episode just in case you missed it.

    My squiggly word is greoio. I wonder if that's how Julie feels tonight after taking the GRE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aly, I've just spent the last three hours downloading 70 pictures to Snapfish to order prints, can you imagine how long it would take to download an episode of Gray's? I know I sound like a fanatic, but I'm really not. Besides, I got to watch about half of it. Then, Friday night I turned the TV at 7:30 to watch Men in Trees (an amusing comedy) and there was the same episode of Gray's. So I watched the same half hour again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the connection speed matters, but it's streaming video, so you don't have to download it. I think that is suppose to help, but I might be wrong. You can always go watch it at Kristi's house because she recorded it on her DVR.

    Your daughter is coming to see my place tomorrow. I might be the first to see her vacation pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'll survive missing 1/2 hour of Gray's. But I am very jealous that you get to see the pictures first. That is so wrong.

    ReplyDelete