Saturday, September 09, 2006

Five Foods You Really Must Try

Ouch, I've been tagged and I felt so unworthy to discuss this topic. "Wait a minute." I says to myself, says I, "I may not cook a lot, but I can eat with the best of them. " So while I'll share a couple of the things I like to prepare myself, the rest is the kind someone else cooks, my favorite kind.

1. Peach-Cream Cheese Dessert This is made in a 9 x 13 pan with graham cracker crust, a layer of cream cheese, margarine, sugar and vanilla (feel those arteries clogging??), topped with a layer of sliced fresh peaches, covered with real whipping cream. I don't make it often because I hate peeling peaches and there is only a certain time of year when they are ripe enough. (Sorry, folks, it's not the 4th of July. I've finally learned)

2. Sex in a Pan I just like telling people this is the dessert I'm bringing. No, I don't make it for church. People would pass up the main course and head right to dessert. You probably know it as something else. It's another layered dessert with a nut and flour crust, cream cheese layer, chocolate pudding layer and Cool Whip layer. Easy to make and everyone likes it, (except for those weirdos who pretend to not like chocolate)

3. Tuscan Chicken Salad @ Johnny Carrino's I could be wrong about the name of this salad, but if you get the chance to eat at Johnny Carrino's, this is the dish I recommend. Fantastic dressing.

4. Lettuce Wraps @ P F Changs There are a lot of wonderful entrees at P F Changs, but always, always start with the lettuce wraps. It is a mystery to me how they get that lettuce so crisp and uniform.

5. Carmelized Pear Pizza @ California Pizza Factory I can't describe this except to say it is truly wonderful. Don't let the name put you off. (This is not a dessert)

Now, I'm making an addition to this meme by requesting recipes for five things I would like to make. If you can help, please comment.

1. Sour Cream Lemon Pie
2. The world's best pasta salad. I've had several good ones, but this one had ranch dressing, olives, ham, cheese, olive oil (I think) and other good stuff. The restaurant wouldn't give me the recipe. What's up with that?
3. Boysenberry Cobbler. I could probably figure this out, but where do you get boysenberries?
4. A delicious but easy casserole to take to sick friends
5. A good zucchini bread or cake

I see that I am inordinately interested in desserts. I know that makes me the odd man out, a loner on a deserted island, the Queen of Spades in a game of Hearts, the Ugly American . . . can I stop now? I honestly tried to focus on other food groups, but things are what they are.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. You always say such clever things and I find myself chuckling all the way through. We just about decided on the spur of the moment to head to the city and California Pizza Factory for a piece of that carmelized pear pizza.

    I just had the most fabulous idea. You know how we always talk about trips to places, why not plan a trip to restaurants. PF Changs for an appetizer, Johnny Carrino's for main dish, take a break to fit in a bookstor (only to allow dinner to digest a bit!) and then to California Pizza Factory. If we started early enough and went late enough we could do all three meals of the day like this. And we could visit 3 bookstores. Okay, even to me, that sounds like too much. Let's just do brunch and dinner. I thin we could still fit in the 3 bookstores, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan. And a lot of food. You need to schedule in a nap. Let's make sure next trip we take to the city, that the restaurants are already picked so we can avoid the 3-hour discussion of where to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's a great idea! When you go, let me know and I'll see if I can come, too (that is, if you don't mind me tagging along). I really love the idea of different restaurants, bookstores, and naps. The only thing that could make it better is really cute, mildly flirtatious waiters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the flirtatious waiter bit. Maybe if we call ahead, we can make a special request. "Hi, we're a party of three middle-aged women with our ## gorgeous, single daughters. We liked a table for ## and need a handsome, flirtatious waiter who will show equal attention to the older women as the younger."

    Also, Julie, remember, the key is to have the restaurants lined up ahead of time to avoid lengthy discussions. Did you notice how Jordan got his way because he just stuck with Carrino's through everything? I guess we'll have to research new places where there are no pre-conceived notions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how come, no one is rushing forward to fulfill my recipe dreams. I know family would love a great sour-cream lemon pie for Thanksgiving if I just knew how.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The desserts are always the best thing to be interested in! I would like in on this restaurant vacation. I even have suggestions of new places to eat. Cafe Rio has the best Mexican food (although I think Julie likes Bajio better, but that would work for me), and The Noodle Company is my new fav. place to eat. Neither of these are sit down and be waited on restaurants, but they are still good. The Noodle company has American, Mediterranian (sp?), and Asian style noodle dishes, so there's a variety that will surely please everybody.

    Sorry I don't know any recipes for the dishes you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no , no, Alyson, we have to go somewhere new. I've been to both Bajio and Cafe Rio, and they're okay, but not somewhere new. The Noodle Company sounds intriguing, but I want to sit down.

    We had a progressive dinner for RS last night and I made a dessert. Guess which one!!! (think chocolate) While sitting next to the bishop's wife, I made an off-color remark about why I called it Sex in a Pan instead of Better Than Sex like some of the other ladies. They laughed and I blushed. That doesn't happen often.

    ReplyDelete