Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Big C


I'm not sure why I chose this image. My doctor doesn't look anything like this one and he didn't check out my throat at my annual last week. No fear, he checked out everything else. That little hammer of his sure can make my legs kick when he pounds on my knees. He even inquired about the reason for my weight loss. Keep in mind, it's been over a year since he's seen me, and he doesn't come across as the most observant person (in a non-doctor situation), so I was impressed that he noticed. (It was before I actually got on the scales) When I told him it was because he scared me so much at last year's exam, he explained that he thought I might have a love interest. I detected a note of disappointment. Isn't that just like a man? That I would only lose weight for another man and not to improve my health. And why didn't he remember that he was the one who strenuously adviced me to lost weight? Maybe because I never took this advice before. But it is nice that he would like me to have a social life. After all, he delivered both my babies, removed my gall bladder, comforted me when I was pregnant and separated from my soon-to-be ex-husband. Who else would ask me as I perched on the edge of his unspeakably uncomfortable chair with jarring back pain, "So are you ready to lose weight yet?" (It was another ten years before I could answer in the affirmative) So after the exam, we sat and chatted for a while. Doc is infamous for ripping the paper gown half way down the front in order to get his stethoscope where he can listen to my "Deep breath in, out, deep breath in" you get it. So we discussed politics while I sat on the examming table clutching the paper gown in front of me. False modesty? Perhaps. Other years we have discussed books, malpractice insurance, finances, etc. and I must say it can get a little cold when all you're wearing is a ripped paper gown. Anyway, it occurred to him that I had reached my life pinnacle, The Big 50! So when you saw the title to this blog, you may have thought of Calcium, Cholestrol, Cataracts or even Cancer. No, it is much worse. I can't even bring myself to write the word. So the procedure is next week and hopefully everything checks out. After looking for an image for this post, I can honestly say that I'm not looking forward to it. Now I know having a colo . . whoops, almost got me, I know it's not as bad as cancer. So far, I'm happy to avoid that and with Doc's help, I hope to remain healthy for many years to come. The question is, after thirty years with him, what will I do when he retires? (Book, try to keep the sarcastic remarks down to a minimum. We have the same doctor, but vastly different experiences)

6 comments:

  1. Make sure he gives you the "forget" cocktail. I had it for my big C and never had a better night's sleep in all of my adulthood. That was definitely a silver lining for me. Besides, having had it's desired effect, I have absolutely no recollection of the proceedure and remain willing to submit to the indignity again.

    I don't know how that stuff works but it does. The doctor who performed the proceedure moved into my neighborhood the following week. I had not met him prior to the big C. I walked down to welcome him to the hood. I was flabbergasted that he did not look, at all, familiar. But then he showed no sign of recognizing me either. I was sorely tempted to moon him and see if he recognized me then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't follow through with that C when he prescribed it for me. So best wishes. I know you're braver than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myke, I just read your Carpe post and have to wonder about your moon fetish. Doc assures me I will not remember anything. Of course, he also said Jordan would be born the first of Feb. not March 10, as I predicted. I ask you. I get no end of satisfaction in being right.

    Book, Myke makes it sound so pleasant, how can you resist? I wasn't all the nervous until two ladies at work described their Big C's. One had pain and the other remembers watching the monitor. Now I just looked at some pictures on the internet and felt nauseous. What if that was me plastered on TV? Not exactly how I planned on making my screen debut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you make me laugh so hard! We probably wouldn't recognize you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom is having a big C on Wednesday. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book, I hope not.
    Cardine, I hope your mom's goes well also. I'm drinking lots of water tonight, but it's only visiting for a short while.

    ReplyDelete