Friday, July 27, 2007

Disaster and Good Fortune

My sister and her husband have gone on an extended vacation leaving their home in the care of their eighteen-year-old daughter. Naturally, there is a crisis at home as a huge leak from an unknown source floods their basement. This type of disaster would absolutely floor me and I'm not an eighteen-year-old. But Katie calls her parents and they get her started on the right course with cleaning services, the city, and the insurance. Another daughter, Jenny, lives close by and she rushes in to help. Somehow, the leak is stopped although the source is still unknown. That evening, fifteen people, family and friends, come over to help clean up as much water as possible. But the carpet must be replaced and that means everything in the basement has to be moved. After a family picnic the following evening, we plan to help move out all the furniture. I get there at 9 pm and have to park halfway down the street as cars line both sides of the road. After a few calls and not finding anyone home, Jenny reaches her bishop (leader of her congregation) to see is he can give advice. His teenage daughter is having a party at the time and every one of the kids volunteers to come over and help. With the help of my brother, nieces, nephews, a couple of neighbors, the bishop and all those kids, Jenny and Katie were able to empty the basement in less than a hour. With some leftover treats from the picnic, the kids merrily returned to their party hopefully knowing how much their service was appreciated. I was so touched watching everyone pitching in on a Friday night and having such a good time doing it. Myke and Cheya, you are so blessed to have such great daughters and friends. I was blessed to be there to witness it.

5 comments:

  1. When I heard about the disaster, I was a little thankful to live far away and not to be expected to help (I know that's a little selfish), but your account of it makes me think it would have been worth it to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is always how it goes; as soon as the people in charge leave, disaster strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great that there were so many people to help Katie out. I would have had no idea what to do either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stories like this. People really are essentially good, aren't they?? How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brings tears to my eyes to think of all the wonderful people who so willingly helped us out. How can I ever thank them properly? I also worry that I will never be able to hold my head up in town with so many aware of my messy basement!

    Framed, this is a lovely post. You paint a pretty picture of an ugly mess. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete