Monday, January 15, 2007





It is soooo cold. I know, I know, I live in Utah, what do I expect?? Still, we haven't been this cold for a long time. Friday, it snowed and snowed and snowed and snow....well, you get the picture. The storm was moving so slow that it just stayed right over Vernal and dumped its load all day. And the wind blew. That is not a normal weather phenomenon for this area. The wind blows a lot in the spring and summer but winter usually is breeze-free. After work, I braved the wind and went to Walmart for groceries. Then I had to plow through a drift to get into the carport. In the morning, I checked the themometer and saw a brisk ten degrees F. But the wind had died and the sun was shining. It was so pretty. Out I went to do my duty to the driveway. The drifts were hard to move, but luckily there were large patches the wind had blown clean. About halfway through, a neighborly neighbor stopped by to say he would come over to plow the snow, but I was in the groove and quite enjoying myself. Two hours later, I was finished and very warm. I can't believe it took that long, but I did a really good job and slowed down a

lot at the end. When I went to bed that night, it was nine degrees F below 0. Brrrrrrr. But I have a nice down comforter and stayed toasty all night. I woke up to a cold (-11) foggy morning.I like the fog even when it is so cold. I love the way t coats the trees with frost and makes everything so quiet. Two hours later, the fog was gone but the frost still sparkled on the trees and bushes, sparkling in that cold winter sunshine. I liked to say that the cold snap has passed on. Unfortunately, today it was -21 first thing in the morning. What????? I'm staying inside playing with my warm computer and doing warm-up chores around the house. Tomorrow, it's back to work if I can get my car started. I've always thought living in Phoenix was over-rated, now I'm not so sure. The weatherman says it will be warming up this week to a balmy 4 degrees, so I'll try not to get too hasty and just enjoy the view while sitting in front of the window wrapped up in a cozy blanket with a steaming cup of hot chocolate. Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. I love Winter! It's so beautiful to watch from inside my warm house, cuddled up in a snuggly blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what I had to do in this freezing cold winter wonderland. Go outside and take winter pictures of my daughter and her girlfriends. My daughter, the scrapbooker, already had the paper chosen that she wanted to put the pictures on. Good grief! Me feet still haven't warmed up. I am just getting ready to curl up in a quilt, with a bowl of popcorn and a good book. That part of winter I like.

    I have a solution to the weather. We could all move to Phoenix in the winter and Portland in the summer. Spring and summer we can enjoy in Utah.

    BTW, I am really enjoying The Woman in White.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's that cold!! I've been complaining about the temps here, but I don't think it's gone below zero yet. I thought often about having a summer home in Utah and and winter home in San Antonio, because I really hate the cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the schools I applied to is UNLV. I'm thinking Las Vegas might actually be okay this time of year - I hear it's about 50 degrees right now. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the schools I applied to is UNLV. I'm thinking Las Vegas might actually be okay this time of year - I hear it's about 50 degrees right now. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the schools I applied to is UNLV. I'm thinking Las Vegas might actually be okay this time of year - I hear it's about 50 degrees right now. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the schools I applied to is UNLV. I'm thinking Las Vegas might actually be okay this time of year - I hear it's about 50 degrees right now. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the schools I applied to is UNLV. I'm thinking Las Vegas might actually be okay this time of year - I hear it's about 50 degrees right now. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to report that we have not got to 4 degrees above yet, but did get over 0 today. It's a regular heat wave!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh booklogged. It didn't take that long to take those pictures. You know it was worth it! Okay, well, I thought so. Those pictures were fantastic!
    But yeah, I'm in love with the snow here, not necessarily the below zero temperatures, but, the snow make perfect backgrounds for pictures, and it makes me love hot chocolate even more than usual!

    ReplyDelete