Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Favorite Time of Day

"What is your favorite time of day? Are you a morning or a night person? Has this changed over the years?"

I love sunrises and sunsets, with a little leaning towards sunsets.  That could be because I am usually either sleeping when the sun comes up or busy getting ready for work.  I have lived in my house for over thirty years and I can't count the times I've sat on the front porch watching the sun go down.  Until three or four years ago, the field across the street from me was empty, giving me an unblocked view to the west and the mountains that circle the Ashley Valley.  Vernal has had some pretty spectacular sunsets during those years. 

Some evenings in the fall and spring, I would watch huge flocks of birds as they dart across the sky.  It's amazing how synchronized they are as they all suddenly change direction.  Sometimes, hundreds would be perched in this locust tree in my front yard and on the electrical wires by the road.  

I would have to say that I am both a morning and night person.  I prefer those times to the middle of the day.  There's a softer quality to the light when the sun is lower in the sky and the shadows are more interesting.  Has this changed through the years?  Definitely.  When I was a teenager, I slept all morning.  Probably never saw a sunrise.  Now that I'm older and my body is running down, I can't sit on the front steps like I used to.  But sometimes I glance out the window and see some pink or orange lights and walk out to see what brilliant note the day is ending on. 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I agree, this is a great time of day. It's not often that I see either sunrise or sunset, but in the summer I make it a point to wake up a few times and watch the sunrise from the sand dunes. Loved the way you described everything. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember us sitting out there together sometimes enjoying the night air and the beautiful sky. We really have a great view, not as good as it used to be but it's still pretty nice.

    By the way, I don't own The Help, but booklogged does so you could probably borrow it from her. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome to borrow The Help. I agree with the morning and evening slant of the sun being so much softer than at other times of the day. I don't see very many sunsets unfortunately. Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW - love the new layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely picture! I agree with you...sunrises and sunsets are amazing. I leave my east-facing window blinds open when I go to bed at nights so the light of a sunrise has a greater possibility of waking me up. I've seen some beauties!

    ReplyDelete