Monday, January 25, 2010

7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I remember reading this book when I was in 9th grade and absolutely loving it.  But I remembered so little about the story.  Of course, I knew Jane Eyre was a penniless governess who falls in love with her employer, Mr. Rochester, and he with her.  I remember the mysterious happenings on the third floor of the mansion and even the fire.  But that was it.  When I started reading this book again, it opened with the story of Jane as a ten-year-old being mistreated by her aunts and cousins.  Was I even reading the same story?  She went to a boarding school?  She ran away from Mr. Rochester after learning that he had a wife?  I thought she learned that at the time of the fire.  Where did these cousins come in?  Wow, isn't it amazing the things you can forget over forty years' time?  Since I have never seen movies made from the book, it was almost like experiencing it for the first time.  Which was pretty neat.  What can I say?  It's a great story, a great romance, and Jane Eyre is a great character.  I love how strong she is (except for when under the thrall of her cousin, St. John.  He was creepy.) She had such moral conviction and deep passion.  I love that neither she nor Mr. Rochester were good-looking, but were attracted to the better qualities of the other, and maybe even some of the faults.  The story captured me.  True, I found the dialogue to be stilted and silly; but probably true to the time the book was written.  It sure took a long time to say anything, didn't it?  But the book is a classic, and I can certainly understand why?  I should try to not wait another forty years to read it again.  Here's a quote I picked out from many good ones:
"We know that God is everywhere; but certainly we feel His presence most often when His works are on the grandest scale spread before us and it is in the unclouded night-sky, where His worlds wheel their silent course, that we read clearest His infinitude, His omnipotence.  I had risen to my knees to pray for Mr. Rochester.  Looking up, I, with tear-dimmed eyes, saw the mighty Milky-Way.  Remembering what it was -- what countless systems there swept space like a soft trace of light -- I felt the might and strength of God."
The book is filled with some great thoughts on Diety, right and wrong, morality versus immortality, even religious over-zealousness.  Good lessons that don't feel preachy because the story is so enthralling.  If you want to read a classic, I recommend this one.
Rating:  4.5

I realized that I posted this review on the wrong post.  If you want to see my other book reviews, please visit Framed and Booked.

6 comments:

  1. I started reading Jane Eyre last April. I loved it. Sadly, my life got a little hectic, and I never picked it back up. I might have to. I love the musical and the Masterpiece theater version of the movie. It's a lovely story. I'll have to try it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I read this book, I didn't like it. I didn't like that she ended up with Mr. Rochester, but I pictured him as a bit of a creep. What can I say...I was young. I saw a movie production of it and LOVED it! I wondered if it was the same story. So, I read it again, and loved it. I had matured and could appreciate some of the things better.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that the best way to experience this book is NOT to have seen any of the movie versions so you were right on track. It is a great book that I return to over and over again. Thanks for your great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't seen any movie version before I read it, which wasn't long ago, when I was in my 30's. Once I read it, I could have kicked myself--why hadn't I been reading it for decades? I loved it, and it's among my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    I, too, am planning to "rediscover" this one soon. It was a big part of my girlhood and required reading in a great class at uni. It will be wonderful to immerse myself in the richness of Charlotte Bronte's prose again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jane Eyre! I like the first person narrative - it puts Jane in command of her own story and gives her more power, I think. She often says, Dear Reader...I like the direct address (which I usually find instrusive). I like the constant power shifts in the story - between Jane and Aunt reed/ Jane and Rochester/ Jane and John. And what an interesting look at the rise of professional women of the 19th century. Okay, by now you know I love Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete