Friday, July 14, 2006

Fabulous 50's



I know, I know. This does not look like a group of fifty-year-old women, but I can assure that is just what it is. In June, I joined four of my high-school friends, Ann, Nikki, Judy, and Marla, at Ann's home in St. George for four days of just being the girls. What a hoot. First off, Ann is this incredibly generous and fun person. Nikki calls her Martha Ann Stewart with good reason. She is a great hostess. We all received embroidered beach towels and cloths that said "Fabulous 50's" as well as a bag of goodies and trinkets, many straight from the 70's. We spent lots of time shopping and spent all kinds of money. That's always fun isn't it? One night, we attended "South Pacific" at Tuacan. What a magnificent setting to see that musical. I enjoyed it even more than the movie. Must have been the company. I was so impressed with the wave of water that flooded the stage just before intermission. We would begin each morning sitting on the patio having breakfast. I chowed down on Nikki's healthy muffins.

They were fantastic. I have the recipe!! Nikki is a warm, beautiful person who is so easy to be with. She exudes warmth. Judy is such a wise woman. I can't believe how many books she has read, more than Booklogged! And she knows everything and everyone. I hadn't seen Marla since we worked together years ago at First Security. She lives in St. George and it was so good to see her again. She is just as gorgeous as she was in high school, maybe more. We spent one afternoon in her beautiful new home. She has this deep red wall in her kitchen and dining room that I absolutely love. Well, we spent hours talking and laughing and catching up and laughing and talking. Don't let me forget the pedicures. I love getting a pedicure. Another evening, we hired a professional photographer to take our pictures. She spent a couple of hours with us at Brigham Young's summer home and places close to it. We had a blast and I think the photographer did too. I guess we showed her that 50-year-old women are lots of fun. I love what wonderful women these four have developed into. I'm so glad we are still friends and we're planning future trips. I can't wait. A word of advice to all of you. Keep in touch with your old friends and when you turn fifty, have a fling together. If it's too late for fifty, do it at sixty. I bet we'll do something grand in ten years.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful time. What a treat to still be close with your high school friends. BTW you look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures!! And great vacation. I hope that my high school friends and I can do this some day. I went out to lunch with three of them (two who were in town from Michigan) yesterday. It was great seeing them and catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Book. The professional did some individual shots and there is one of me that I have to buy. (I need an 8x10 for the hall of frames.) I look so young!!! These are not professional, by the way. I think if we do a trip with sisters and daughters, we should think about a photo session. It is kind of expensive, so maybe not.
    Alyson, I'm glad you stay in touch with your old friends. There is always such a great connection there, don't you think? Thank heavens for Ann and Nikki who are so good to keep us all in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a fabulous idea! I barely stay in touch with my high school friends, just my best friend and I get together regularly. The friends I have now, though, I want to keep forever, no matter if we end up moving away from each other. Thanks for the inspiration! And, I agree with Book, you look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Frog, you don't look older than me. You're just a kid. To be honest, my friends and I haven't kept in touch all that much over the years, maybe lunch once a year, running into each other here and there, and knowing what's going on because we live in the same town. So we really had a lot of catching up to do. I learned some things about each of them that I never knew in high school. I guess when you hit 50, you quit worrying about facades.

    ReplyDelete