Thursday, July 20, 2006

Birthday Poems

A few days ago, I read "The Cat Who Talked Turkey" by Lillian Jackson Braun. I decided not to do a post about it on Framed and Booked, because these books are all quite similar and you either like them or you don't. They're just a tad too precious, (the main characters always part by saying A bientot. What does that mean?) but I still read them. But I was captivated by one idea in the book. Each year on his mother's birthday, Quill gathers some friends and read her favortite poem by Wordsworth:
I wondered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills.
When all at once I saw a crown,
A host, of golden daffodils.
Don't know how the rest of the poem goes, it's immaterial. But Quill thinks every one should have a birthday poem. His is: "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you . . .", Weatherby Goode, a meteologist, "The fog comes on little cat feet," Mildred, "When I consider life and its few years . . . I wonder at the idleness of tears", Polly, "My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky . . .", and Arch liked Anonymous, "I know two things about a horse, and one of them is rather coarse." After reading this, I tried to think of a birthday poem for myself. However, I'm limited since I don't read a lot of poetry. How about . . ."I do not like them Sam I Am, I do not like green eggs and spam."? or "Why are they sad and glad and bad? I do not know. Go ask your dad." Yes, I love Dr. Seuss. And that last one used to make Jordan laugh and laugh. I have read some Edgar Allen Poe and the witches' speech from Hamlet. They're pretty morbid for a birthday poem. And of course, there is the lyrical limerick. (Eyebrows bob up and down) So my quest is to find that poem. If you have suggestions, feel free to share. I would also like to know what your birthday poem would be. Well, gotta go, the evening is hosting a spectacular sunset. I need a poem for that.
A bientot.

9 comments:

  1. It was a beautiful sunset, wasn't it? What a novel idea - a birthday poem. I really liked your Dr. Seuss ones. Hope I remember them on your b-day. I'm like you, I don't read much poetry, but I'll start paying attention until I find one I'd like recited at my b-day. I let you know as soon as I settle on one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A bientot" is french for "see you soon" (loosely translated).

    I like the idea of a birthday poem, but I'm limited, too. I pretty much just read Emily Dickinson. I used to have a favorite of hers but it's been so long I can't remember. I'll have to research again and find a birthday poem for myself. At least I have 10 months to do it!

    Good luck finding a poem for yourself. I'm sorry, but I don't have any suggestions as yet. If I find one I think you may like, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a birthday poem either, but it's a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there isn't a witches' speech in Hamlet. Are you thinking Macbeth? Anyway I hope you all have been taking advantage of my sort of weekly poem on my book blog. I tend to go mostly toward the classics. I really like the poem that "Captain Van Trapp"(can't remember the actor's name) recites at a birthday pary in the movie "Must Love Dogs" I think its called Brown Penny and by Browning... not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Julie, somehow I thought you would know what it meant. I'm a little disappointed. I thought it might be more risque'. I swear, Quill and Polly are so milk toast I just want to thump them. (For all my complaining, I really do like "The Cat Who" books. So how is it pronounced?
    Jeez, Cassie . . . Hamlet, Macbeth. They both have murder and mayhem in them. What's the difference?
    Well, I have until February to find my poem. So everyone, report back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I thought Cassie was suggesting the witches speech for you birthday poem.

    I like a challenge - The Official Birthday Poem Hunt. Who could ask for anything more?! Hey, I could sing that instead of a birthday poem. No...?

    Bientot! (that's my new favorite word)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book, I thought you were singing. And personally, I think the witches poem might just be appropriate for my birthday or at least some of my days. I just ordered a couple of books of poems on sale. I'll see if any fit me or some one else. You need an A in front of your Bientot. And then there is a carrot over the o but I don't know how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Framed ~~ Thank you for your visit and comments. I take it as a cmpliment that I look like your grandmother. I don't have a birthday poem, but my late husband used to sing
    "You are my Sunshine" to me which was
    nice. Take care, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would take me so long to choose just one poem. Maybe "Advice to My Son" by Peter Meinke which I posted recently on my blog. I do love Kipling's "If" and the line, "If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you..."

    ReplyDelete