Friday, May 26, 2006

The Wind Beneath My Wings

My cousin did a foolish thing--her words. She bought herself a butter-yellow Volkswagon convertible. Yesterday I went for a ride in it. The top was already down but we needed to put the cover over the folded up roof. And away we went. She explained that she never locks it since the top is mostly down (it's work to put it up and down) so she doesn't keep valuables in it. Papers fly out. Be careful of your conversation as passerbys can listen in. The wind is extremely noisy when you're driving on the freeway. Most of these comments were her own. So how was the short ride from her condo to Los Hermanos down the scenic University Avenue? In a word . . . exhilarating. Granted, it was a beautiful spring day and downtown Provo was looking very green and spiffy. (Did I just say spiffy? Well, it fits.) We had the side windows rolled up so my hair wasn't whipping into my face, just lofting through my nicely highlighted locks, creating the wings mentioned in the title. After dinner, I was tempted to run and gracefully jump over the side into my seat. I restrained myself. Keep in mind, the windows are rolled up and I'm a fifty-year-old, not-at-all-skinny woman with a bad back who has just consumed a massive chimichanga. So maybe buying a butter-yellow Volkswagon convertible is not the most practical purchase for a teacher who commutes from Provo to Salt Lake three times a week. It won't be the best car to take on a road trip with several of her closest friends. But it was her dream and she loves it. I say hooray for enjoying life and doing something that feels so good. Also, in the back of my practical mind that stops me from doing some of the things I dream about, I think what great gas mileage she is getting. Besides, I love the color of this car.
Wonder if it comes in an SUV?

9 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for her! I, too, would love to buy a convertible VW bug. I've only ridden in a convertible once and I LOVED it. Even the windblown hair didn't detract from the wonderfulness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think T's car looks like a little yellow M&M. It is so cute. Everyone needs that that little sudden, expected enveloping of pute delight once in awhile. I bet she gets that every time she walks toward her car. I do the same thing but on a smaller scale. On the back of my medicine cabinet I have a few frig magnets from places I've visited. They tickle me everytime I brush my teeth! Okay, so that's a stretch from a car to a magnet! Whatever works! :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! I really should read over my comments before posting. I meant 'unexpected enveloping of pure delight.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering what pute delight is and why haven't I ever experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if pute delight is the same thing you get when you stick a knife into the toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any term that has to do with 'delight' must refer to food. I think 'pute delight' must be the chocolate mints the munchkins eat while blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, that was so funny. I will take your word for it as I have never stuck a knife into my toaster. I reallay should learn to live on the wild side. Book, I think pute delight is something you read that makes you laugh right out loud, like Julie's comment or Myke's blog post with the guy's finger up his nose. I still chuckle everytime I look at that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like I always say, "Better the wind beneath your wings than between your cheeks!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard you say that, Myke. You may have to make your own lists and add that to the "Things I always say."

    ReplyDelete