Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life History Assignment: Likes and Dislikes

A great device for including information about yourself is by making a list.  I heard an author say you can make a list about anything:  what's in your refridgerator (I just threw out some disgusting, unknown substances so maybe I should do that one) a list of what's going on in your life at age thirty, forty, fifty, etc., (I wish I had done this but now I don't have that many decades left in me), what's on your bookshelf (this would be too long).  Anyway you get the idea.  Blogging memes follow this idea very well.  I found this list in a life history book, and the class seemed to like the idea.

1.  List your favorites from any of the categories below, and add any others that appeal to you.  If you would like, add a short explanation beside each item. 
  • Books - Anne of Green Gables, The Book Thief, Trinity, it's no use, I could go on and on.  I just love a well-written, entertaining book that makes me feel something.  Anne made me feel hope, happiness and the love of family and friends; Book Thief made me feel sadness and the love of the written word; and Trinity made me feel romance, danger, and determination.  My favorites change on any given day but these are three that came to my mind today.
  • Songs - "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"  I feel good every time I hear the opening riff to this song.  It's just one of those songs that takes you back to a different place in your life.  I have lots of songs that I really like to listen to and so much depends on who the performer is.  It would be hard to choose just one favorite.  But this Beatles song always lifts my spirits and John Lennon seems to sing it with so much joy.  Isn't that how you want to remember the Beatles?
  • Television shows - Dancing with the Stars, Gray's Anatomy, Castle.  I love watching Curious George with my grandson. 
  • Movies - Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping.  Funny how a little sleep deprivation changes your focus, isn't it?  I also really liked Four Wedding and a Funeral, especially the edited version.  Funny how I don't particularly like to read romances, but I love romantic comedy movies. 
  • Plays - The Tempest
  • Kinds of Music - Christmas, I own more Christmas CD's than any other type of music. 
  • Colors - Soft yellow, periwinkle, lavendar, deep red.
  • Foods - chocolate, Mom's potato salad, Myke's grilled hamburgers, the pina colada salad at Zupas
  • Flowers - peonies, lilacs, yellow or apricot roses, wild flower mixes
  • Operas - ????
  • Holidays - Thanksgiving is my favorite.  Great food and family get togethers. 
  • Sports - I love watching swimming on the Olympics.  I just love the Olympics, summer or winter.
  • Cities - New York City, Monterey, Boston, Salt Lake City.
  • Restaurants - Zupas (see above), Macaroni Grill ( had a great soup there last year), Appleby's
  • Dances - ????
  • Presidents - Abraham Lincoln is my favorite.
  • People's names - I think Lincoln is a wonderful name. 
2.  Look at the categories above.  Do items you particularly dislike come to mind?
  • Books - The Journeyer  This is one of the few books I have not finished, but I'm getting better at setting a book aside when I 'm not enjoying it.  But it is the only book I ever threw away.  Pure trash.
  • Songs - There are a lot of annoying songs out there.  "Master, the Tempest is Raging" is one church song I don't care for.  Too long and tedious.
  • Television shows - The Office
  • Movies - That independent film based on Nephi in the Book of Mormon.  The worst acting, makeup, sets, dialog etc.
  • Kinds of Music - Rap
  • Foods - green peppers
  • Holidays - Valentine's Day  Come on, people, do you really need a day to celebrate your love?  We could eliminate this holiday, save some money and not make those poor lonely hearts out there feel any less worthy.  And, no, I'm not bitter, just cheap.
  • Cities - Aberdeen, Washington -- just not a really pretty place. 
I could probably come up with more dislikes if I let myself really think about it, but why dwell on things I don't like?  I'm glad that those things were harder to bring to mind.  Maybe I'm not in such a dark place after all.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post to read. And a good idea for recording your history. Poor Aberdeen - in such a pretty area but it doesn't capture any of the beauty, does it? I agree about Valentine's Day - let's just scrap it! I need to read some of Leon Uris' books.

    ReplyDelete