Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Trip Down Memory Lane

After visiting the Salt Lake Book Festival, Susan, Mom and I traveled up to Fielding to visit with relatives. First we stopped in Brigham City and spent some time with Uncle Gordon, Aunt Carol and Cousin Pam. Gordon has been in the rehab center there, but we found him in good spirits and looking forward to returning home soon. Carol looks so much like my mother and it's joy to watch the two talking together. And Brigham City looked gorgeous in its fall colors. I'm glad there were still leaves left on trees, since Vernal is pretty bare. Next we traveled to Fielding for dinner with Uncle Donald, his wife, Eleanor, and Aunt Betty Jean. Mark and Davis met us there and we had a true feast. After dinner, we had the rare privilege of listening Mom, the aunts and uncle reminice about the past. Donald had some written histories of many of our ancestors. I need to get a copy of all of those. Great company and great stories. The next day, we traveled with Donald and Eleanor to Clarkstown, UT, just north of Fielding. After driving around for a while, we finally decided where aunts and uncles had lived in the past. Then we visited the cemetery which has a great view overlooking the Cache Valley. It's too bad there was such a haze from the California fires. We found Martin Harris' grave and others. It's a beautiful site with lots of elaborate head stones and markers. Finally, we drove into Logan and had lunch at Fredrico's. This was a favorite of mine from long-ago college days when we would walk up for salad and garlic bread. It was just as good as I remember. After a drive by the gorgeous Logan temple, we headed home. I love hearing stories about my ancestors, just wish we had recorded the tellings.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice trip. I love hearing family stories too. They can be so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Clarkstown but I didn't notice Fielding. Hmm.

    Both sets of my grandparents are from Cache Valley -- I love that place. It brings back all my happy childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tristi, Fielding is just over the hill from Clarkstown. South, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting trip, I know how it feels to be on memory lane, especially as one gets older, it means a lot.

    I follow your blog on my blogroll, and did not know you were born in St.Johns.
    I am now in Saskatchewan formerly Ontario.
    Ena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a nice trip. Sometimes, when my boss is running behind, I stop working and talk to our waiting patients to keep them from noticing the time too much. I love listening to their stories about when they were younger. It would be even more special if listening to stories from family.

    ReplyDelete