Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bankers Retreat to Moab



I just spent two days at a conference at the Red Cliffs Lodge near Moab, Utah. An associate and I drove down early Wednesday morning leaving Vernal headed the east. The sights differed so widely on this trip. Let's just say the area around Rangely, Colorado is pretty bland and desolate. Then we headed up Douglas Pass which I'm sure was breathtaking a few weeks ago. Now the autumn colors have faded greatly but the view is still wonderful even if the drive is a little treacherous. Once you hit I-70, it became pretty bland and desolate again. We turned off 70 south for Moab and it wasn't long before we saw the famous red cliffs which make this area so breathtaking. This is the third time, the bank has treated the managers to a fall retreat at the Red Cliffs and I still haven't had a chance to explore the rest of the area. Someday. But what a setting for a business conference. Actually, it's almost torture being surrounded by the Colorado River and red cliffs all around, and we're stuck inside discussing banking. The first two years, my room's patio opened right onto the river looking east. I loved going out and taking a walk just as the sun was rising over those red rocks. Fabulous. This year I was in the west wing and could walk out to a little babbling brook with a small water fall. Not quite as spectacular but very, very, very nice. If you go to Moab and can afford it, this is the place to stay. They are now growing grape vines and the lodge is surrounded by them. As for the conference, it was banking business, do you really want to know?? The food was great and I will put in a plug for the entertainer last evening. His name is Ryan Harrington and he looks like a cross between Howdy Doody and Jerry Seinfeld. Absolutely hilarious. He lives in Salt Lake and recently won a national comedian award. I'd share a joke or two but without the timing and his facial expressions, what would be the use? So my resolution is to return someday and visit the Arches National Monument (or is it a park and what's the difference?) and Monument Valley. The Lodge has a small museum dedicated to movies that have been filmed in the area. Maybe that will entice my daughter to visit with me even if we have to stay somewhere closer to my price range. Maybe we can lunch there and sit on the verando overlooking the river.

5 comments:

  1. Well, of course I would go there with you. Musuem dedicated to movies. Though I'm sure most of them are westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, darn. I was hoping Cassie would decline and you'd have to resort to asking your sisters to make this trip with you. Beuatiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple years ago I went to Moab by myself and spent the weekend hiking Arches and the surrounding area. I LOVED it! I've wanted to go back ever since. I went in October and thought that was the perfect time to go - not so hot but not cold yet. Maybe we could have a little mother/daughter there! That would be fun; let's do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie, Duh, Little Pilgrim (get it?)How does Thelma and Louise sound?

    Book & Julie, Let's all go down together sometime. I'd suggest it for a UEA trip except that's so close to when the bank takes us. Besides, we don't take our kids on the UEA trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtaking! I love this part of the country. We spent a couple of years in Wyoming was I was very young, and I still crave the air! I saw The Yearling in Utah and still remember coming out of the theater. Don't remember the name of the town, but Laddie (my father) was a petroleum engineer and sometimes we all went with him and had to be entertained.

    Hope you all really make your trip to Moab!

    ReplyDelete